Date of Agreement: 9 September 2003
Current Mayor: Jean-Marc Nesme
Paray-le-Monial is a commune in the Saône-et-Loire department in the region of Bourgogne in eastern France
Paray (Paredum; Parodium) existed before the monks who gave it its surname of Le Monial, for when Count Lambert of Chalon, together with his wife Adelaide and his friend Mayeul de Cluny, founded there in 973 the celebrated Benedictine priory, the borough had already been constituted, with its ædiles and communal privileges. At that time an ancient temple was dedicated to the Mother of God (Charter of Paray). The Cluny monks were, 999-1789, lords of the town.
The town is mainly known for its Romanesque church "Sacré-Coeur" and as a place of pilgrimage.
The Hôtel de Ville, in Renaissance style, the façade of which is adorned with a large statue of the Blessed Virgin, is also one of the historical monuments.